Upwards and onwards. I made the leap and weathered the hell out of this Manticore and it looks like it went some poisenous gas storm on the desert world of Bishkek. It looks so battered now that I am tempted to start drybrushing again to lighten up the whole tank. But my wonderful Forgeworld book keeps my focused and I will see this through. Here is work from the last couple of days.
First some tools: thinner and non smelling spirit:
and pastel chalk for grinding up and making into weathering powders. The FW guys use MIG powders but I can't get those here. My wife had this box sitting on the bottom of a drawer; what a find!
Here's the start of this stage. I did some weathering with a sponge and put a gloss coat over the whole vehicle. The gloss is needed to work with the oilpaints
Using black and burnt umber as a mix I started working the oilpaint on. If I didn't like the look I used more spirit to massage it a different way. Here's what I ended up with
The glossy keeps bothering me but the weathering is working out allright. Next thing is flicking on the rust. I ground up some chalk..
mixed it with burnt umber oil paint and some spirit. Then flicked it on. After that I blended the rust with more spirit. I don't have pictures of that but it's pretty obvious. If you want to do this, get the book and don't follow me.
Ah and then the next day! I threw on a matt coat and there was the tank I was looking for!
I apologize for the length of this post. Hope you readers on a black berry or Iphone can still see it pretty quickly.
Next up: weathering of tracks and painting some details, drybrushing and layering the flamer etc etc