Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Bishkek 2nd Manticore, Part 5


Getting close to the end with the Manticore. A few updates while I am preparing the painting of the rocket battery.
Here's on last closeup of the dozer. I added mud to whole tank (see below) and wanted the dozer to get it's share on the bottom part. I noticed that when using weathering powders they dry much lighter then when you throw it on with some water or spirit. So it would be good to use powder that's a bit darker. I will have to wash it a little with devlan mud.
This is the only glossy part of the whole machine, the hydraulics for the dozer.
Here are the back treads with all the mud piled on it. it came out pretty good. After the mud and the mandatory dull coat to encapsule all the powders, I did a light highlight with Boltgun metal mixed with black wash to give some of the links a little more visibility.
I also finished the weathering on the back.
Here's the stowage basket with some stuff in it. I really like how it came out, but wasn't happy with the crummy way I built the top part. So I cut down some cheesecloth, rolled it, stuck little pieces of tape to it and washed it with black and brown. Then I glued the whole thing down.
It kinda looks like a camo net. The brown yarn is not finished yet, I just wanted to show how it got finished. The net glues on fine, but it looks strange without it being tied up. A little yard tightened the net up nicely and it looks more realistic. I just have to weather the ties and drybrush the net a little. Here's another view
It needs a little tidying up but it will work out.

Mike

5 comments:

  1. That's just gets better with every update.

    Kudo's to you for going full bore with with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is some beautiful weathering there. I love the stowage basket, well done. With all the rusting and chipping on this beauty the tracks look a little too clean under all that mud. I'd say anything that's not a surface area should be rusted. I used a purpose made rust product on my tank, but I've since learned that a little watered down terra-cotta and a little watered down orange will do the same trick. Really looking forward to seeing it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The exposed pistons are perfect dude, I really can't wait to see this thing complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the most amazingly dirty tank ever! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete