Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Deathwing Project Update - Budget Thunder Hammers ?

In order to expand my Deathwing, I figured with all the new hype over the updated Thunder Hammer / Storm Shields I would add a few more.

I am not sure if they will all be in the same squad, or if I will sprinkle them around a bit, but the end result will be 5 more Terminators.

I was in the area so I decided to swing by my favorite FLGS Game Kastle today, I thought I might grab a box of assault Termies.

$50. for 5 termies with hammers/shields and some extra claws.

I like the poses of the new plastics, but that's a big lump o cash and I have a bunch of termie stuff at home that I need to use up.

Black Reach Termies are getting 10-15 bucks a set ( I have a few sitting around ) and the big shield does a pretty good job hiding the slightly more boring models.

I found a cool box of big resin shields with Dark Angels looking robed angel motifs made by Hi Tech Miniatures, only 4 shields $11.25

Next I grabbed a blister of hammers from Max Mini, 10 resin hammers $9.00 ( only needed 4, but will have some for the next batch)

I also picked up another 5 of the Forge Craft Highland Crag resin bases I am using for my Deathwing troops, 5 bases $6.50

Here is everything I bought, with my left over terminators.


So even if you pay
$15.00 for the Black Reach Termies
$11.25 for the shields
$9.00 for the hammers

you are still only at $35.25 for 5 termies, a savings of $14.75 and you will have 6 spare hammers.( good as I have a few extra shield bits I want to play around with.

for the $50 box set you get 5 THSS sets, 5 pairs of extra claws and better poses.

Next up, building the models.

John

5 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to see how you going about attaching the Shields to the Blackreach Termy arms.

    I'm trying to find a way to do a storm shield for my second Belial and I haven't figured out anything yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The resin selection at Game Kastle is fantastic. I window shop those displays on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaper-

    I am removing the fist and using a forearm from a regular marine arm pinned to the shoulderpad and with a blob of greenstuff with ribs as the elbow/flex coupling.

    These shields are HUGE perhaps a bit too, but they hide the arm pretty well.

    John
    Santa Cruz Warhammer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool bitz and idea. I especially like those hammers and look forward to seeing them in place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the same thing for my Black Templars using:

    -Black Reach Termies (got an uncut sprue thrown in as a freebie when I bought a complete army from someone)

    -Forge World Templar storm shields ($12)

    -Thunder hammers from a bitz seller ($12)

    -Space Wolf shield arms from eBay (much cheaper, w/ hardly any Wolf iconography to remove) - $7

    -Resin Templar Knight shoulderpads from Scibor Minitures ($7)

    ...so I'm at $38, I've got lots of resin-y Templar goodness, and I didn't need to figure out how to rig the shield arms (which I really wanted to avoid). I also chopped up and re-posed all but one of the termies so the poses were a lot more interesting...

    ReplyDelete