Using Satin Primer instead of Flat/Matte



After painting 2 HQ's for my baby Space Wolf Army I already got tired of painting on the base color of the armour (after primer). So to skip a step I went to the hardware store and found the blue that matches Shadow Blue exacly. It's Rustoleum Painters Touch ultra cover Wildflower Blue. The only problem was that there was no flat finish available, only satin, which is pretty shiny.
Thinking back at my Forgeworld modeling bible and knowing that in that method all the models are sprayed glossy before weathering, I decided to give it a go. And with excellent succes!

Here's the model sprayed blue
Here's a model after 1 generous coat of devlan mud. Because the surface is glossy, the wash falls into the recesses very nicely without pooling up on flat surfaces.
Here are a few more details.
Of course this is just basecoating it, but it makes for a nice start. The armour looks just where I want it!

Maybe give that a go on an old model, it works pretty nicely

Mike

Comments

  1. Looks really good and I'm thinking I need to find something similar for my Deathwing...

    Have you played a game with them yet or not?

    I can't wait to see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    You sir are a scholar! I will have to try this. That color is almost identical to the one I mixed up to basecoat my wolves with. How does paint stick to the other areas not coated with the wash?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using the Krylon Fusion Black Satin as my primer/basecoat for quite a while now. It is a bit more glossy than most people prefer, but I actually like it quite a bit. It seems like it makes for a nice smooth finish as well, paint seems to flow over it nicely. The light satin primer followed by a wash that you're doing looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danny: The parts that are not washed are still pretty glossy. Hence, the paint will not stick as well, depending on the color. Bleached Bone for instance is fine but bubonic brown, which I use as the ground color for the yellow of SW, needs two coats.
    Lord Shaper: I have finished 3 of the 17 models...ouch.
    Mike
    SCWH

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of mine tried a similar technique long ago with red spray paint for Khorne Berzerkers and it worked pretty well. That was long before the GW washes were out, I think he just made a wash out of black paint. Good trick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain with having 14 to go!

    I'm sitting here with 9 for my Deathwing painted but since I have mine set up for options I have 16 terminators sitting here waiting undercoated along with 1 black reach Dreadnought...

    maybe I should stop working on objective counters heh

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often do something similar since I basecoat most minis with my airbrush and add 50% future to the paint. Nice gloss/satin finish perfect for washing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment