An important part of playing wargames is having terrain to set the scene. My gaming table has been a bit sparse for a while, so I thought I would take a break from painting for a bit and make some exciting new terrain! No battlefield is complete without a few ruined buildings, and ruins fit my board's theme rather nicely.
I started off by making a couple of "blueprints" in Adobe Illustrator.
|an example of a "blueprint" I made. These were designed to be built using 1/4" foamcore.|
Taking a sharp Xacto knife, I cut out the windows, doors, and floors. I used a pencil to sketch out how I wanted the building to be broken, then used PVA glue to assemble the walls and floors of each ruin.
|These are far from complete, but they are really starting to come together.|
|Following my blueprint, I was able to make two ruins out of each plan due to large corners of the buildings being cut off.|
|These can be used to make one large building, or they can be spread out across the battlefield.|
All in all, this was a fun distraction for me to work on. They add a decent amount of character to the board, which lends to more cinematic moments occurring during gameplay.
These still have a bit of work to go on them before they are finished. Next up, I will add some texture and details using cardstock and adhesives. Once that is complete, I will basecoat the ruins, add the fine details and then finally paint them.
I'm still undecided as to whether or not I want to add a larger base under each section of ruins. I have a feeling that I will, so I can add more rubble, as well as help clearly define the boundaries of the terrain pieces.
Hope this inspires a few of you,
Stay tuned for more progress!