I built the display off of a hard plastic serving tray I bought at Ikea for $3. The tray measures approximately 18 inches by 14 inches. I wanted to use a tray so when I am not having the army displayed I can use the tray to collect my dead and carry the army around between tables. The design is pretty simple. There is diamond plate textured plasticard on the tray with a tiered structure in the back. I figured this could represent the interior of a Mechanicum hanger or cruiser. The structure in the back is not attached to the tray. This makes for easier transportation, and it keeps the functionality of the tray. As a bonus I can also use the building as terrain.
Here is a shot of the tray with the structure lifted off. For small events and everyday use this alone could make an adequate display. The tiled artwork was the most complicated part of this project, but it was still pretty easy. I found the art on google images searching for Ad Mech information. I do not know who is the artist that created this piece, but I would like to give them credit. To be clear, there is no way I could have created this art myself; I am not that talented. If you know who the artist is please leave a comment. It is really an inspiring piece. The Cyborg Vetruvian Man is just perfect for a gothic machine cult.
To create the tiles first I sized the artwork on my computer and printed it out on cardstock. I printed it in color to keep the yellow aged effect. I then glued the image to a plastic sheet with Elmer's Spray Glue. This is a good glue to use when working with paper because it will not shrink and warp when it dries. From there I cut the plastic sheet with the art securely attached into one and a half inch squares. I used a utility knife and a ruler to keep the lines straight. To create some space between the tiles I lightly filed down all of the edges at an angle. To enhance that effect when I glued the tiles to the tray I intentionally made the pieces not line up perfectly. I think that makes it look more believable as floor tiles. I affixed the tiles with super glue.
I figure if I took the time to make a themed army on themed bases I might as well have a themed display. I am excited to put this to use in a tournament at the end of the month. If there is interest in seeing this army in detail let me know and I will do a show and tell in a future post. Be sure to join Santa Cruz Warhammer on facebook to see more of our work and to share your own.