Check out these really cool bases!


So a few weeks ago John, our buddy Christian and I went to the GameKastle, a very cool gaming store in San Jose. They have so many different models, I can easily spend 3 or 4 hours there browsing through all their stuff, thinking up cool conversions or using models for my different armies. One of the things I bought that night were some blisters with bases. They come from Poland and are made by Micro Arts. These guys make all kinds of resin bases for different terrain. I decided on 3 different ones that I will share with you.

1. 25 mm urban rubble bases. They kind of look like eldar rubble. Here are they unpainted..

here is an example what you can achieve with them..

Here is my scout, using the rubble on the model and blending it with the resin base, using a little green stuff.


The bases are not flat and it takes a little while to position a model nicely, on this scout I had to bend down the tip of the cape to make it look realistic.

2. 40 mm temple bases. I think these are my favorite ones. Just imagine putting an Ork Warboss on this or some Terminators. Very nice sculpt indeed.

3. 60 mm industrial rubble. This one is made for a Def Dred!


The blisters were about 6.50 a piece, so not too cheap. And, yes, I know we can all make these ourselves. But it is such a joy to base a model on a nice resin base, I really enjoy working with them.

Miniature Arts has an excellent website where they have a lot of very cool sculpts, including some Orks with Gasmasks. They accept PayPal. I placed an order for some more stuff a while ago but haven't received it yet, it was about two weeks ago....I am a little disappointed about that. When it does come in I will let you all know.
NOTE, added later: I received my models a day after this post went live. Good Job shipping!

One more thing: I don't understand why GW would not create a bunch of nice bases, it seems like they would sell of lot of those...I really like their basing set. Does anyone have any ideas why GW doesn't sell those?

Mike

Later Added!
One of our readers, Dragon Forge commented this on this article. I will put it in the post, as I am not sure how many readers check out the comments:
As someone who has cast over 25,000 resin bases in the last year I can tell you why GW/Forgeworld doesn't do more resin base stuff..there no money in it compared to casting big tanks and vehicles. The profit margin is way higher for the same amount of labor.
They did the basin kits about a year ago which included small resin bits and those were made in China.

Thanks for that comment and I invite people to check out Dragon Forge's work, go to www.dragonforge.com
Maybe we can do a review of this stuff once I find it somewhere.
M

Comments

  1. Those bases are really cool, the industrial rubble one could be built up on the raised side and then you could put a guard heavy weapons team in there so it looked like they were ''Dug in.''

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who's cast over 25,000 resin bases in the last year I can tell you why GW/Forgeworld doesn't do more resin base stuff..there no money in it compared to casting big tanks and vehicles. The profit margin is way higher for the same amount of labor.
    They did the basin kits about a year ago which included small resin bits and those were made in China.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for that info Dragon Forge, and I had actually already checked out your outstanding work. Readers, please check out this site as well:
    http://www.dragonforge.com/

    Maybe we can do a review of these bases as well
    Mike at Santa Cruz Warhammer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks,

    Dave Taylor inspired me to dig up a blog I started last year and start use it finally. I hope to post some new in progress stuff tonight. I hope to use the feedback I get to develop new ranges of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. where can we find your products, besides the web
    Mike at SCW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I currently only sell direct from my website.I'm a one man operation plus I have close to 100 codes now so I find its the best way to guarantee 100% fulfillment on all orders.

    Most orders get shipped in 24 hours of being placed, many on the same day and arrive in 2-3 days in the US with priority mail 4-10 days world wide.

    I'm also running a special offer for larger orders I call the Dragon Forge Deal. For ever $30.00 spent you get $5.00 extra in free product. details can be found here
    http://dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%20sale/dragon_forge_deal.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some cool bases. I like the 40mm bases best, but they are all quite nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Games Workshop however DOES produce a resin 40k basing kit as well as including brass stuff for your metals and slate pieces for rock

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment