A Great Way to Watch Your Models Burn


Ok, we are not really lighting our toys on fire.

How about "How to make really cool looking vehicle destroyed markers".

I saw something like this on someone else's blog and had to try it out. it takes minutes to make and has a great affect.

You will need:

Cheep ass battery powered electric tea candles. (I got a 2 pack in the Halloween isle for $1.99)

Some clear and very sticky glue (I had a half a tube of Shoe Goo, but hot glue gun would work)

White cotton or something close ( I used some acrylic stuffing from a pillow)

Black spray paint ( I used some black primer)


Slather the sides and top of the tea light with glue, including the little flame part.

Mash the cotton stuffing around the sides and pull up and mash it all over to stick it to the glue.

Tease the strands up like smoke, and flip the little switch on on the bottom and watch how cool it looks while it glows and flickers.

Give it a a few short blasts of black spray paint to darken up the smoke affect, it also acts like hairspray and keeps it all together.

Next time you are playing and someone takes out your vehicle, flip the switch and set this on top so it looks like its burning. The flickering glow from inside is really cool looking.

make more!

These are really fun and easy, and look great, so try some.

John

P.S. here is a little video so you can see the flickering.

Comments

  1. Man! Those look awesome and really add to the gaming experience i think!!

    Will be especially good for apoc games where there are dead hulls littering the battlefield!!

    Ill have to get myself some of those cheap lights and give it a whirl. Thanks man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great effect, and easy to do, I'll try and pick up some of those lights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that the awesome flickering does not come across in the pictures but it really is neat to watch them go. ( Or it might just be 2AM and I should be sleeping )

    John
    Santa Cruz Warhammer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good, darn cheap and effective. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius, gotta love the conversion - plus my daughter will love them SOOO much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant idea - I will need to make some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's pretty neat. Can we get a video?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally going to snag that idea. As a DE player, I *always* have wrecked/destroyed vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen that before as well, but never got off my butt to do anything with it. You can also find those battery powered tea lights on amazon.com sometimes for pretty cheap. I'll have to check my local 'Wally World' Halloween isle soon though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! I have a HUGE bag full of steel wool. I wonder what that would look like...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Will definitely have to do when I start working on my Space Wolves!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, I added a short video.

    John
    Santa Cruz Warhammer

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. Definitely have to make a couple of these for the next Apoc game. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very very cool, I think I'm going to head out now to buy some lights and cotton wool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look really great. Such a brilliant idea. Will definitely have to give making a few of those a go! Thanks very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is just too cool! I will have to make me some!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool effect, and I like the low price also.

    I'll have to go scour the halloween aisles for some materials...

    ReplyDelete
  18. That´s great stuff! I´m planning to make a volcano for my Warhammer Fantasy Battle campaign...

    That´s gonna be awesome effect on a top of the volcano... :)

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are AMAZING. I have to make some.

    Did you get them at Wal-Mart or somewhere similar?

    ReplyDelete
  20. My friends and I all made these and debuted them at our LGS tournament last weekend. They were received with much praise. a whole table full of 6 or 7 of these going at once looks darn impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can also find the tea lights as used in this at a local Hobby Lobby. They carry them in the candle section for $2.99 for a pack of two also.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Totally converted! This a an awesome idea. I'm ashamed I missed it before!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I built a few recently which we used in our latest Apocalypse game - pics here for those interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fikster/sets/72157627306801299/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment