Posing your Model makes all the difference: Ork Dred


The Ork Dreadnought has never been my favorite model; it looks old-fashioned and static in its design and we were all disappointed that GW didn't give it another go. So instead of moping, I thought about changing it's pose to make it more active and powerful looking on the battlefield. I decided it had to step over a bunch of rubble, the moment being caught in mid action.

To get the legs to move that far, I had to remove the parts that fit into each other at the hip. I had made the base first (important), so that I could set it in all kinds of different positions before finally committing. The result looks more dominant and intimidating, which it probably would be in real life.

I did minor conversions to the model but added no other parts besides what came with it. I cut the banner in half, put the skull on the belly...

and added the heads to an arm, trying to position it with a correct gravity effect, flowing back, when this guy makes his move over the rubble.

The base was an old dread base. I added some really old vintage piece of wall from a spacemarine cardboard firebase set that came with some plastic wall pieces (1995). Find those boxes, the sprues in there are awesome. The old how to make terrain-book from 1995 has a picture of that fire base in it. Anyway, cutting up the plastic into a realistic piece of wall worked great and I am very pleased with the result. The mesh is from the new basing set.


Here's the base, painted:



Here's the big guy painted as well..




All in all, focusing on one model at a time slows you way down in terms of getting your army done, but to me it's well worth it.

Comments

  1. Another dynamic pose changes a good model into a great one , adding motion really makes the normaly trash can looking model come to life and look like it is going to smash something, great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment