I want to share this easy method of creating an interesting camo pattern on your IG models. It works really well for snipers because of their long capes.
Here is the end result:
If you like this look, keep reading.
I am slowly working on a small Imperial force, consisting of a squad of 10 spacemarines (Iron Snakes) and a modest Guard regiment, led by an Inquisitor. I have read pretty much all the Dan Abnett novels and in those stories it is really common to have all these guys work together. I have high hopes that the new IG codex will allow all this.
I love the sniper models, so those were the first to be painted. I am using a Desert Storm type color scheme with lots of browns and white stucco rubble. In painting these guys I used 5 or 6 different shades of brown, which is really fun.
Anyway, on to the the camo method:
start with a big brush with coarse bristles, put a generous amount of paint on it,
daub that in water and put your finger on it (sorry for my dirty fingers, they do get filthy from this)
and pull back to create this spray
You can do multiple sprays in different colors. It's fun because it is so random, which ironicly makes it look really well thought out.
On these guys I base coated in graveyard earth followed by a liberal wash of Devlan Mud. Then I did the spray in 3 colors: black, bleach bone and white. On one of them I also did scorched brown.
After that dried, I highlighted every line with graveyard earth again, but not more, as to not make it two distracting or obvious, in the end they are snipers and DON'T want to be seen. After the modest highlight I lined all the recesses with black ink.
Hope this inspires!
PS my next post will be about the basing of these guys.
So simple yet so very, very effective: well done indeed, matey!
Great! I love the camo!ReplyDelete
Looks good, i've got some scouts coming this week so perfect timing. I look forward to seeing how you did the bases.ReplyDelete
that looks like a good way to paint urban camo quick dirty and loos pretty slick.ReplyDelete
Looks good! What would You think about a similar camo on a tau hammerhead in stripes? The base color is something desertish and I'd use a darker and a lighter similar color diagonally like:ReplyDelete
1, base color,
2, darker camo on the base color,
3, lighter camo on the base color, and so on.
Yeah, how about masking off tight lines and doing it just on the exposed areas...that might look goodReplyDelete
I'm thinking about lines of approx. the same width, one base color, one darker camo, one based, one lighter camo and so on. This would look cool. I have to try it out first though, I wouldn't mess up a HH :)ReplyDelete
let me know when you have done it, maybe we can share or link to it.ReplyDelete
Ok, should I write an e-mail or just comment here? I won't get to it till the end of the week, I think.ReplyDelete
yeah, place a comment with link so other readers can explore. If it works out well, send me an email with jpg and I can post itReplyDelete
I'll post it on my blog anyway I guess, so I'll just write the link here.ReplyDelete
Hi, here's the link for the Hammerhead! Hope You like it!ReplyDelete
finished the HH today, theres a post on my blog about it. the point is that i do not suggest this kind of camo if you are willing to weather your vehicle as well. the camo will just blend in too much in my opinion.ReplyDelete
Great idea! It offers the opportunity to learn the various aspects of game play without suffering through defeat after defeat while progressing through the learning process.ReplyDelete
Fantastic, I shall be trying this technique on the Scouts for my Sneaky Marine Chapter :)ReplyDelete