Now that it’s summer and I’m done grading papers for a bit, I can finally get back to painting up my Archangels marines and prepare for the Wolf-Time Campaign with my friend Kevin. I’m nearly done with only about a dozen more marines to finish off.
I wanted to share the evolution of my chapters’ logo.
In this first image, these three marines show early renditions of an “angelic-themed” icon.
It was right about then that the water decals (or if you're Australian "dekkles") came out. that must've been around 1989-1990. So I switched to a yellow circle with a red Dark Angels icon which really “popped!” These two guys and many other were done up like these two.
Now going back and prepping for the campaign, I’ve decided that my troops will have the yellow & red icon (I still have a ton of those decals somewhere...) while most of the officers will get the old-school painted winged-sword. My hands aren’t as steady as they used to be, but they look ok enough. These two are nearly finished, with just some wash and basing to go... plus a red DA icon for the yellow shoulder.
This last guy was painted way back in 1988 but somehow got all broken and scuffed up. After re-gluing and replacing the broken bitz, I painted over his original icon and “honored” him with a painted winged-sword. (There's a black, blasted out bolter hole in the middle of the icon which used to be huge and bleeding, but I green-stuffed it a bit to make it smaller)