Expanding the original Chaos Beastmen troop with Runequest Broo...


Ok, let me start somewhere else: my favorite Citadel miniatures of all time are the C27 and C38 Chaos Beastmen miniatures, sculpted by Trish Garden in the first half of the 80's. The sculpts are quite unsettling and sometimes downright creepy, which makes them stand out from all other Citadel minis, before or after. They remind me of the old paintings of Hieronymus Bosch, which after 500 years are still really shocking (in a good way).

Here are a few of the C38 designs:

image courtesy of Stuff of Legends

I have collected a few of the old Chaos Beastmen, but they are rare and if available really expensive - I am always on the lookout for them. here are two I painted up: Snake Man from C38 and Hogman from C27:

But then a friend in Canada sent me two Citadel Runequest Broo from 1982. In that period Games Workshop released Runequest and it had a bunch of mins sculpted by the Perry twins. 

Part of the Runequest miniatures were the Broo, a race of Beastmen that were devoted to Chaos and mutated into really weird beings, simply lovely basically. I immediately was reminded of the Citadel Chaos Beastmen range (which came after) and knew they would all look splendid together.

I had never seen one in the flesh before, and of course these guys are even more obscure and harder to find, all preslotta of course. The models were published in sets, HERE is the link to all of them. My two minis came from the same set, Broo Box 4C Broo:

image courtesy of CCM

And here are Unicorn Head and Rhino Head, based and ready for priming.

I knew right away I wanted to make Unicorn Head pink with green, but have his legs be natural. I liked the weirdness of it and it contrasts nicely with the glum base. All of these minis, including the Beastmen will be on this gloomy, colorless wasteland base with a few pockets of hot lava.

Thanks to Tim W for the minis!

SC Mike


Comments