Oldhammer Terrain: Card Stock Buildings!


 After running out of painting mojo I decided to dig up the old mid 90's Warhammer 5th ed. starter set and build the card stock buildings in this box. I did not realize how much fun it would be to cut, fold, glue and base these wonderful paper buildings - it was truly a stress relieving experience that is easy enough, but still requires a bit of focus and really comes together with some effective flocking of the base.

One of the reasons why I thought of the buildings, was to create an old school looking backdrop for my minis as I finish painting them. For years I have been into a more grimdark look of presenting my minis but now I am looking for a clean and vibrant look - look no further than the mid 90's when clean was king.  The first picture and last picture in this post are examples of what I want to do and maybe improve on. 

Here are the three buildings in the 5th ed starter set: the tower, the shed and the house. They look great on a base and with a bit of grass mat and some trees, the scene really comes to life. The buildings in this box are pre scored so you can punch them out and the folds are premade. I painted the edges of the base with Goblin Green from the mid 90's paint set, just to keep it real.





After these buildings were done,  I rummaged through my White Dwarfs and found issue 155 which has a great building in it plus a small outhouse. This building does not have pre scored lines, so you need to cut it out and score all the folds carefully with the back of your knife. 


Here are the building and outhouse, really nice looking designs. 





You can see that I actually cut out all the ends of the roof pieces and removed the black border that the design has - it looks a lot better if you take the time to cut around the roof ends. 


Now I am on the lookout for some more buildings, but oh, where to store them!



SC Mike

Comments

  1. What a wave of nostalgia. I remember making these buildings when I first got my warhammer fantasy box. They lived with my minis for a long time, until I needed to downsize. Trimming the black off the shingles really makes a notable difference. You can also use pens (black, brown, grey) to fill in the score marks/folds so the white pulp of the paper is less jarring.

    I do believe I have some info to share with you to help your quest. I'll try touching base via instagram....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SC Mike here, thanks Dave! Glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for the help!

      Delete

Post a Comment