Another Oldhammer mini diorama!


After my Genestealer Magus mini diorama I decided to create another one; again with a classic mini and again sculpted by Jes Goodwin! This time I tackled the classic Chaos Champion from 1988 - what an amazing sculpt it is! And I added Creeping Claw, also from Jes Goodwin, but from 1986. 

I knew I wanted to make a scene of the sorcerer hanging out with his familiar and decided on a simple background, with some muted backdrops and a rocky scene. I think these dioramas work better if the content is simple and straightforward. 

Ok here's the home made plastic card box (1.5 inch deep) and the cork rocks. I drew a rough outline, where the mini will go. That is important because generally the frame moulding will come into the scene, sometimes by 1/4 inch. If you decide to make one, make sure that all is visible with the frame on it. 

Here's the mockup, to make sure it will all work and be visually effective. One drawback of making these scenes, is that the tabs have to come off. I have always been a proponent of leaving tabs on, but for these projects there is no choice. 

I painted the background a muted brown orange, contrasting nicely with the blue rocks. It took a bit of washing and blending, but the result worked out.

Here's the painted scene, before the touchups.

And here is the finished diorama! I had a lot of fun weathering the frame (originally it was silver), and I think it matches the diorama well, matching some of the middle background. 

Since the frame cuts into scene, the nice thing is that if you look at the diorama from the sides, the content will go on in the corners. I think that is actually a nice touch, and makes it more evocative. 


And for the back, I added the original frame stand, which allows you to stand it up on a mantle or hang it on the wall.! This diorama went to also to a friend, as a gift. 



Hope you enjoyed this, give it a try with one of your minis!

SC Mike

Comments