I had the idea for a while to do some sort of alien jungle diorama and finally figured out how to go about it. It would a be long, vertical scene with the main mini in the middle and the 'threats' coming from above and below. it took me a while to sort it out but once I had the picture in my mind, it came together pretty quickly. So the idea is: A lone sentry is assigned a watch while his team sleeps. He is sitting in the jungle, with all the noises from that environment, but there is no danger. Or so he thinks....he is about to roll a one, is what someone commented who saw this diorama.
Ok, here's the build: I work at a film processing lab, so we get these empty Fuji Film Control Strip boxes that are 3x10 inches. The odd shape sort of helps me tell the story and I am forced to come up with something different. The rocks are made of cork and the wood branches are just gathered in a park. The long branches idea look I stole from a box diorama by Roman Lappat who used that idea with a forest dwarf diorama.
Once the idea is there, the build came together quickly, also it's so nice to just use Elmers, instead of all the toxic glues...
I envisioned a darkish theme with darker, vignetted top and bottom, and lighter hues in the middle where the lone sentry sits, and for paint job I used a lot of inks and washes. The end result is pretty atmospheric and pretty gloomy for the infantry man - someone mentioned 'he must have rolled a one'...
The minis used:
-Genestealers (Spacehulk) 1989
-Tarmagaunt (1995)
-Rippers (1995
-Catachan tank rider (1994)
-random Tyranid 2008 bits
Hope this inspires!
SC Mike









Comments
Post a Comment